Website Bolton Castle
Reports to: General Manager
Hours of work: 1 x Full time post.
Predominantly DAY TIME HOURS
Hours variable over the year- more hours during peak times and less hours during quieter periods. Weekends, bank holidays and school holidays essential. Must be able to work efficiently under pressure and also cope with some periods of relative quiet.
Bolton Castle is a popular visitor attraction where no two days are the same. We are seeking a hands on Tea Room and Catering Manager and Cook who is able to cater for our diverse range of guests. Passion for game and local produce is essential, within the constraints of offering affordable and great value food for families. These game dishes are the sort of thing we would envisage serving, along with more popular tea room type dishes: https://tasteofgame.org.uk/trade/recipes-for-farm-shops-cafes-and-pubs/ Flexibility and an ability to produce superb, fresh scones, cakes, sandwiches and soup, sausage rolls and pies, as well as pop up barbecue grills, pizza ovens at busier periods and more formal dining with shoot lunches and dinners through the autumn and winter is important. A healthy and varied salad option should be offered daily too. Canapés and fine dining may be required for bespoke events and also ability to produce medieval themed food on occasions. Based at the Castle, but some work will be undertaken on other parts of the Estate. Freezer food, hampers and other offers may be required for holiday lets.
With future plans including glamping, weddings, shoot lunches on the Bolton Estate, new play area etc in addition to a substantial investment program Bolton Castle is an exciting place to develop your catering skill base.
The catering operation is managed by our General Manager. We maintain a small passionate team working along side the owners of this family business so allowing for quick decisions and efficient operation.
Main Tasks / Responsibilities
- To ensure high standards of food production and service within the kitchen and tea room are always delivered, whilst ensuring high standards of hygiene are maintained.
- Including creative input for our menus
- Run or oversee pop up kiosks/trailers
- Comply with all current health & safety and food hygiene regulations.
- Ensure the kitchen & equipment is cleaned to the highest standard, always.
- Communicate with the General Manager regarding stock levels.
- Carry out stock-takes from time to time as requested.
- Training / induction of Catering Assistants.
- Work closely with the General Manager and Owner on new ideas.
- Managing staff and waiting on necessary at times. The ability to fit into a small team and superb customer service is essential.
- Personal license desirable but not essential. An interest in business development would be useful. Passion for producing great food for everyone, from families on tight budgets to fine dining on occasions is essential. Willingness to work most weekends through the visitor season (April to October) and some through the winter as events require is important.
- Any other general duties as required from time to time within the capability of the post-holder.
Person Specification / Key attributes
- Previous similar experience is essential, holding a C&G 706/1, 706/2 or NVQ equivalent desirable.
- Must have at least Basic Food Hygiene Cert – Intermediate level preferred.
- Good bakery skills would be a distinct advantage.
- Sound knowledge of Hygiene, Health & Safety
- Motivated by a passion for quality and great service delivery with ambition to continually improve.
- Excellent team player
- Wear a smile / Happy Disposition.
- Good Customer Service Skills
- Show tact / diplomacy when handling dispute.
- Engage with the customers which includes children of all ages.
Application deadline: 7th May 2021
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: Negotiable depending on experience.
- Company events
- Discounted or free food
- Employee discount
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Sunday
Staff health declarations
One way systems in place for customers
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Plastic shield at work stations
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitisation, disinfection or cleaning procedures in place
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.